Who am I really?
I grew up in “Amish Country,” Pennsylvania but since moving away when I was 19, I have lived all over the country. Nevertheless, Pennsylvania will always be a part of who I am. I still say things like “redd out/up,” “dippy eggs,” “rutsching,” and “spritzing.” Luckily I somehow got away without “you’s” becoming part of my vocabulary.
Of all the places I’ve lived, my favorites by far have been Wyoming and Montana. My least favorite is not Wyoming or Montana.
I am married to my best friend, Brian.
We have one obnoxious, lick-happy, deaf, doofus boxer named Reyka. We also have the most amazing heeler/shepherd/mystery dog named Levee, and a heeler/border collie called Wicket.
Here are a few random facts about me:
1. My favorite color is yellow but I don’t really like anything that’s yellow. I do tend to like a lot of things that are turquoise.
2. I despise greediness.
3. My favorite word is glass.
4. I like being covered, no matter the temperature.
5. My favorite songs are O Mio Babbino Caro, especially when performed by Renata Tebaldi, Green Fields Of France by The High Kings, Coyotes by Don Edwards, The Irish Ballad by Darby O’Gill, and Seven Nights In Ire by Reckless Kelly.
6. Things must line up exactly or not at all. I feel uncomfortable when things are just slightly askew.
7. When everyone else is running for bread and milk in preparation for a storm, I am stocking up on toilet paper and deodorant. At all times I have at least six bottles of deodorant.
8. My favorite animal is Canadian geese or coyotes. It’s a toss-up.
9. I collect horse brass.
10. My favorite scent is lavender, followed closely by a blend of spearmint and clove.
11. I am afraid of moths. I do not want them to touch me. It’s quite ridiculous.
12. I love reading. We own more books than one of the libraries I used to visit as a kid. My favorite book is Jane Eyre.
13. My sense of smell is tragically powerful.
14. My favorite TV shows are Life with Elizabeth and Duck Dynasty, and my favorite movies are Housebound, Grabbers, Decoy Bride, and Trollhunter.
15. Dusting is my least favorite chore, followed closely by washing dishes, vacuuming, and all other chores.
16. Soda makes me vomit, literally.
17. I am terrified of deep water and heights while in a vehicle. I went up the Beartooth Highway once. That will never happen again.
18. Winter is my favorite season.
19. I am not a sociable person. I will go to great lengths to avoid interacting with people.
20. Two of my favorite quotes are:
If one advances confidently in the direction of his dreams, and endeavors to live the life which he has imagined, he will meet with success unexpected in common hours.
– Henry David Thoreau
Blessed are the flexible, for they shall not be bent out of shape.
– Betsy Shirley